Tuesday 8 May 2012

tasty tuesday : ginger snaps




Ginger snaps are one of my favourite types of cookie, and one of the first things I remember baking with my mom.  When I was really young we had a little green stool that I would stand on when we would bake together, this way I could reach the counter and "help" (which I'm sure often turned into me eating cookie dough while she baked).  I vividly remember standing on that stool and rolling ginger snaps in sugar, the smell of ginger and molasses mingling in our kitchen, creating a heavenly aroma.




I love my ginger snaps big and soft! I prefer their snap to come from the spices rather than their texture.



A fork works perfectly for pressing the cookie down, and adds a pretty design on top.


Ginger Snaps
adapted from: allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon of allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • 3/4 cup margarine, softened
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1/4 cup molasses

  • 2 tablespoons white sugar (for rolling)


  • Directions:

  • 1.  In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and salt.
  • 2.  In a large bowl, cream the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses.  Stir the dry ingredients into the molasses mixture. Roll dough into one inch balls, and in a separate bowl roll them in the 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place the cookies onto a cookie sheet, and flatten with a fork.
  • 3.  Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.




I enjoy this classic treat on a summer's day with a frosty glass of soy milk, or on a winter's evening with a steaming mug of freshly brewed rooibos tea!


ps: jordyn ♥ 

5 comments:

  1. Those look so good my mouth is literally watering right now!! Baking is so much fun!

    - Erin :-)
    writedreamrunsing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm, these look scrumptious! & fantastic photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a cookie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to make these for a friend of mine but he's sugar free, what would you suggest I substitute the sugar for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...we've never tried substituting anything for sugar in this recipe, but I would probably try using stevia (although you will also need to replace the bulk of the sugar as well....perhaps with egg whites or apple sauce). We're really not too familiar with sugar free baking, so google might be your best friend on this one! Or you friend might have a better idea of good substitutions. Depending on how sugar free your friend is, you could also try using something like coconut sugar, which has a minimal effect on blood sugar :)
      Hope that helps!

      Delete

Leave us some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...